Retired - 2023
Location: St. Louis, Missouri
Email: Email Me
Emeritus member of the Owner’s Counsel of America As one of the original members of this invitation only organization of condemnation attorneys from the entire United States who represent property owners in eminent domain/condemnation, Mr. Denlow now enjoys the status as an “Emeritus Member.”
Former Chairman of the Missouri Eminent Domain Committee for the Missouri Bar.
Former Chairman of the American Bar Association’s Condemnation, Zoning and Land Use Litigation Committee. The American Bar Association (ABA) is the national organization for attorneys.
Best Lawyer in America listing. He is listed in the Best Lawyers in America for eminent domain.
Robert Denlow founded Robert Denlow & Associates in 1990 for the purpose of establishing a law firm focused on protecting property owner’s rights in Eminent Domain proceedings and to ensure they obtain their fair and maximum compensation. By 1996, the firm name changed to Denlow & Henry, but retained its purpose and focus on property owner rights. He was formerly licensed in both Missouri and Illinois. His undergraduate degree is from Northwestern University and his law degree is from St. Louis University. Over his career, he represented hundreds, if not thousands of property owners. He tried dozens of of cases before juries with many verdicts well over $1 million. He also worked had a robust appellate practice leading to many landmark decisions relating to Missouri’s Eminent Domain laws and procedures. He was a often sought-after speaking on eminent domain/condemnation topics across the country and authored various articles on eminent domain, inverse condemnation, tax increment financing projects using eminent domain, valuation of properties, and determining highest and best use of properties.
He was the former editor of the ABA’s Condemnation Committee’s legal reporter; former co-chairman of the joint ABA-Great Britain Lands Tribunal Condemnation Conference in London; and has previously chaired the American Bar Association’s annual condemnation seminar. He was one of the original members of Owners Counsel of America, a national organization of attorneys founded on the same principals of ensuring the best representation for property owners.
Mr. Denlow stepped back from the full-time practice of law in 2017 to pursue other interests in travel, photography and to spend more time with his family. He finally fully retired in December 2023.
Areas of Practice
- Eminent Domain
- Missouri, 1979
- U.S. District Court Eastern District of Missouri, 1979
- Saint Louis University School of Law, St. Louis, Missouri
J.D., Doctor of Jurisprudence - 1979
- Northwestern University, Evanston, Illinois
B.A., Bachelor of Arts - 1974
- “Valuation in Condemnation”
- “Business Damages in Eminent Domain”
- “Missouri Condemnation Law”
- “Inverse Condemnation and Airport Noise-Proving and Presenting Damages”
- “Highest and Best Use-Maximizing and Minimizing Value”
- “Tax Increment Financing and the Property Owner”
- Condemnation, Inverse Condemnation and Tax Increment Financing
Honors and Awards
- Best Lawyers in America, Eminent Domain.
- Charter member of the Owners Counsel of America
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Missouri Bar Association, Chairman, Eminent Domain Committee
- American Bar Association’s Condemnation, Zoning and Land Use, Litigation Committee, Former Chairman
- Owner’s Counsel of America, Member
- ABA-Great Britain Lands Tribunal Condemnation Conference, Former Co-Chairman
- ABA’s Condemnation Committee’s Legal Reporter, Former Editor
- The American Bar Association, Member
- Missouri Bar Association, Member
- Illinois Bar Association, Member
- Missouri Bar Association, Member, Eminent Domain Committee